Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Getting the ball rolling...


Here's my first image post! In March/April this year I spent about 4 weeks travelling in Morocco. Morocco is a beautiful country with warm, friendly people and a very diverse landscape.

As an aside, I actually lived in Casablanca for almost 2 years, but I was a young child so, unfortunately, I don't have many clear memories of those days. :-( The memories I do have are mostly of just my parents and sister and our family life together there.

On the trip this year I went to Marrakech, Ouarzazate, Ait Benhaddou, Todra Gorge, the Sahara, Fes, Volubilis, Chefchaoen, Tangier, Asilah, Imlil & Armed (in the Atlas Mountains), and Essaouira. By the way, sleeping under the stars in the Sahara was absolutely amazing!!!

This photo was made in Essaouira on the coast. I got up just before sunrise determined to get up on the ramparts of the old protective wall around the heart of the old city by the time the sun was rising. It really paid off! That glorious morning I was fortunate to be blessed with a breathtaking sky and beautiful early morning light. I was able to make several photos that morning that I am fond of and this is one of them. Although on the previous afternoon there were many people on the wall at this early hour there was almost no one else around so I could imagine the spirits of the long dead Essaouirans that keep their vigil each night departing as the sun was rising.

I think one reason I decided to make this my first photo post is because a couple of days ago I was watching the movie Kingdom of Heaven on HBO and I was surprised to see that early in the movie there were several scenes of the Crusaders in a medieval Arab city and some of the scenes were filmed right on these ramparts at Essaouira! It is really cool to see a place such as this appear unidentified in a movie and know you walked on those same stones!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Henry,
You write beautifully, even if there were no picture, I would still be able to envision it with your words.

Linda