Thursday, March 22, 2012

What My Navel Saw in Tokyo

Occasionally, I use a technique where I put a very wide angle lens on my camera, hang the camera from my neck at navel level, sort of casually have my right hand on the camera with a finger hanging over the shutter button, and walk around snapping photos of things my navel sees.  I don't do it often because it is a less involved sort of way to take photos, but it does give an angle of view like a 6-year old sees and I was one of those not too long ago so I enjoy the chance to relive the past. :lol:   It is just another technique to use sometimes like shallow dof, perspective distortion, panning, etc.  I took some photos like this a few days ago in Tokyo.  I will put a few in this post, but I have more here:

http://www.bakubo.com/galleries/Japan/Tokyo%20People%20from%20my%20Navel/index.html

OMG!  When I look in your ear I can see clear through to the other side, dude!

 She's a Guitar Girl
Stretched out on the Yamanote-sen train in Tokyo.  Where do you think you are, kid?  This ain't New York or London. :-)
Generally, an 18-28mm equivalent fov seems to work well.  I don't use AF.  I usually set the focus to something like 4 feet and the aperture to about f6.3, f7.1, or f8.  I use A mode and let the camera choose the shutter speed.  Can't use auto ISO because you would often end up with a low ISO and low shutter speed so I set the ISO depending on light.  Usually ISO 400-1600 to get shutter speeds that are fast enough.  With really bright light though you can often use ISO 200.

No comments: